Zerowater - Fishy smelling water that made me sick!

408 of 450 Zerowater reviews

I have been smelling something fishy for a few months.The smell started out smelling like a fish bowl, then rotted fish.

By the time I finally realized that it was coming from my Zero Water filter, I had Giardiasis!! The more my stomach ached, the more water I drank, making it worse. I pulled the filter out and saw mold growing inside the filter. And I even keep the water in the refrigerator!

I have had Giardiasis for over two weeks now and since I don't have health insurance, I had to pay for the trip to urgent care and the prescription for Flagyl!

I'm still sick with bloating, nausea, and diarrhea.I want compensation for this product from the company!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 24 Yes 24 50 No 50
Had the same issue 29 Yes 29
408 of 450 Zerowater reviews

Dec 27, 2016 #1261731

While you may have certainly been sick...You did not have giardiasis! I don't think deer or any other animals were pooping in your zero water system.

Dec 12, 2016 #1254174 Pocatello, Idaho, United States

The giardia didn't come from the water pitcher. It came from the water you were using in it.

Splunker

Oct 31, 2016 #1234274 London, Ontario, Canada

Yes, my zero water went fishy and the filter was mouldy. It was only a month old. It was the large capacity filter and I'm just one person, so it wasn't from over use.

Feb 20, 2016 #1115005

My Zerowater started to smell fishy and I stopped drinking. I'm curious as to why you continued to drink yours for so long? Buy a new filter.

1 1 Reply
Splunker

Oct 31, 2016 #1234275 London, Ontario, Canada

The instructions say to replace the filter after the water meter starts to show high numbers. Also, my filter is less than a month old, it's the large capacity one and I'm just one person. It shouldn't be mouldy and in need of replacement already.

Oct 10, 2015 #1046097

Same thing is happening to me. Smelled fishy n I was getting sick, noticed mold just now.

1 0 Reply

Sep 07, 2015 #1031048

I too have used the zero water for 2 months now and Just recently began noticing a slimy fishy smell. It Sounds like this is a common issue for other consumers as well.. Mine went into the recycle bin.

2 0 Reply

Sep 02, 2015 #1028717

Yes, agreed - smells like the fish food flakes you drop in the top of an aquarium. Not what I want my drinking water to smell like. Sorry Zero Water, gave you a nice long shot - but after 3 bad filters I am giving up on you. Recommend you guys do the same. Maybe they'll change their act. It would behoove them to.

6 0 Reply

Aug 19, 2015 #1021943

I'm sympathic to your problems of course but you do say "smelling something fishy after a FEW months." A few months is a very long time to leave a filter like this in without changing it. Did you use the meter? If so, how often? What were the readings when you checked? What is the reading from your tap water? I can take a negative review but really folks be reasonable. I wouldn't use ANY filter for a few months without changing it. Just saying…..

3 3 Reply
MIke

Oct 31, 2016 #1234251 London, Ontario, Canada

It says to replace the filter after the numbers on the water tester get high, it says NOTHING about after the water starts to stink like dead stuff. Zero Water is getting zero of my future business.

2 0 Reply

Oct 31, 2016 #1234254 London, Ontario, Canada

And the filter should last longer than a month. I'm just one person, and I got the big capacity version.

Sap

Jan 24, 2014 #777638 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Omg. I'm sick as well. Ive been experienced vomiting diarrhea weakness. Dizziness for at least 24 hours now amd still am. So what did I do. I kept drinking water from my zero water to get better. Than I've noticed this fishy smell after I started throwing up coming from the water I was drinking and realized it was only coming from the zero water. I compared the two glasses of water one from the tap and one from the zero water. And only the zero water produced this fishy smell. I've never experienced this through your average brita filter. Zero water was suppose to b better so that's why I purchased it. I guess I was wrong and found out the hard way. Pls I commend anyone with a zero water to throw it away. N if u can't afford brita just drink tap water. At least it's safe than zero water. I contacted the company n got no response after being forwarded to many other zero water representatives. They jut don't care
Yours truly. One customer that use to b happy.

12 3 Reply
gloria

Apr 30, 2015 #978251 Boston, Massachusetts, United States

THIS company should go out of business for good, I drank water from their filtration system in a doctor's office and immediately got every symptom imaginable, I was embarrassed and looked and acted like a lunatic from the nausea, malaise, and over all deathly sick feeling, they could not understand what was wrong with me. There are bad reviews about this company all over the web, any good reviews are probably coming from the company itself. Creeps, what goes around comes around.

7 0 Reply
The Hintonian

Mar 31, 2013 #631073 Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

The fishy smell you smell after you have had a filter for a while is the break down of the resin inside the filter, NOT bacteria. When the resin breaks down and a byproduct is an amine which smells fishy. If your filters are only lasting a week or two you probably have higher than normal water usage, or higher than normal contaminates in your water supply. If the latter is the problem, if you want to get pure drinking water from your tap you need to consider a higher volume filtration system.

6 2 Reply
B4Real

Sep 03, 2014 #865362

Yeah, we have used ours only a few times the first filter before we had to replace, we washed the entire system out and purchased another filter, again only a few pitchers later we now smell this. We have been in an RV, so we thought maybe it was the filter warming up during transit, now we understand from reading several review sites that we got taken... back to regular water filters for us!

5 0 Reply
Dissatisfied User

Mar 11, 2013 #621344 Columbus, Ohio, United States

Your post caught my eye b/c I notice that with Zerowater when the filter starts going bad the water starts tasting super funky. A really odd, strange, literally undrinkable taste. I'm having a difficult time believing your story of Giardiasis b/c (a) you say you have no health insuranc and (b) it's something that is very difficult to diagnosis. Moreover, how the *** did you take the filter apart to see mold growing? The filters are encased. One solid piece of plastic?

In any case, i'm going to look @ mine to see if I see mold and am going to switch back to Brita b/c I nvr had this problm w/Brita and I do think this Zerowater is all a big hoax.

1 4 Reply

Apr 30, 2015 #978259

Oh that poster must be telling the truth, my doctor told me that if my symptoms don't get better soon, then I too will have to go on some strong drugs and maybe have to be hospitalized because I am so weak, dehydrated, tired, dizzy, bad taste in mouth and nauseas constantly, the fishy odors is amoeba, it is as if we all went and drank dirty pond *** water, the unit with the two filters I filled my water bottle from was dark looking, I thought the light was out, I trusted that it was in a doctor's office, little did I know that the filters need to be changed often, the doctor probably has no idea because patients are always afraid to complain, I took a relative there for analysis and do not want to make thinks hard for the person so I am not saying anything to the doctor but I did call customer service and they gave me the good old b.s talk and then I talked to my own doctor and then visited google for the last three hours and am appalled to see that this company was sued and settled out of court in 2011 and still sell their pitchers and office dual filter systems via Target, Walmart etc and other top known retailers, it is awful what they are doing to us, yes Giardiasis is a terrible thing and now I too have to be tested and treated for it, monsters at zero water should be shamed, they have no cooth, I am soooo sick, I could hardly stand and my blood pressure dropped, puking, dry heaves, pain, fear, sweats, chills and more, all immediately after drinking from my own water... Show more

4 0 Reply

Mar 02, 2013 #617107

You ever hear of Massingail?

1 2 Reply

Dec 16, 2016 #1256293

ROFL. Hilarious.
On another note, I have a 23 cup dispenser that stays in the refrigerator at all times and I have noticed mold growing on the lid. I did not think that mold would grow in a fridge but then again it can grow on cheese so I guess I was wrong. My dispenser is blue and I have never inspected it to see if there is mold growing anywhere else but after reading these posts, maybe I should. Is there a certain length of time that is recommended to take the unit apart and wash it?

mrlart

Mar 02, 2013 #617046

I had the same problem with my zero water. The original filter started tasting fishy after two or three months. I live with my girlfriend and we drink a lot of water, but not that much.

So I switched back to the Brita until I found a replacement filter in stores. This one started tasting fishy after just a few weeks!! I chucked the filter and now use the blue container as a pitcher :roll

Zero water sucks! thanks for the water tester

10 0 Reply

1-20 of 24 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.