8.7K views

I have been smelling something fishy for a few months. The smell started out smelling like a fish bowl, then rotted fish.

By the time I finally realized that it was coming from my Zero Water filter, I had Giardiasis!! The more my stomach ached, the more water I drank, making it worse. I pulled the filter out and saw mold growing inside the filter. And I even keep the water in the refrigerator!

I have had Giardiasis for over two weeks now and since I don't have health insurance, I had to pay for the trip to urgent care and the prescription for Flagyl!

I'm still sick with bloating, nausea, and diarrhea. I want compensation for this product from the company!

Comments

I bought Zerowater a couple of months ago and also started getting a fishy smell. At first I thought it was the kettle but now find its from the filtered water.

I live in the U.K. and the filter doesn’t last 3 weeks.

Had high hopes for Zerowater but will dispose of it and go back to a Brita. Now I realise why we were having stomach aches and feeling sick.

Have you ever cleaned the pitcher? That’s usually where the problem is.Water will get funky sitting in pitch after a while.i drain and clean mine every week

I have noticed the fishy smell before and used the tester to check and it was time to change the filter. This latest filter was changed 2 weeks ago and I started noticing the smell.

Unfiltered water is reading 107, filtered is reading 0, but still stinks. I fill the pitcher, on average, twice a day...

with 100-110 source water readings, the filter should last much longer than 2 weeks. It's disappointing, if the trend continues, I also will be finding a new system.

Giardiasis is caused by Giardia lamblia, which is from animal and human *** and could not POSSIBLY be related to your ZeroWater filter. https://www.healthline.com/health/giardiasis The fishy smell is trimethylamine, a byproduct of the ion exchange resin, which also is an https://dowac.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4694/~/dow-ion-exchange-resins---anion-resins---odor The device measuring the water for ZeroWater measures in "ppm" or "Parts Per Million." https://www.zerowater.com/resources/tds-meter-instructions.pdf Our noses can detect trimethylamine between 0.3 and 0.8 parts per billion, which is 0.0008 ppm, so we can smell it LONG before the device detects it. https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+808 That smell just means it's time to change your filter.

We had the exact same issue in Chandler AZ and after refilling maybe 10 times over 3 weeks, we didn't know where the stink was coming from. I am now contacting the local water company, I don't know what kind of water we are getting here. Cadmium or Giardiasis or?

to jade #1560225

The "water company", as a utility in the US, must take measures (via filtration or otherwise) to prevent giardia. They would never admit (in an informal setting) that this would come from them. It is highly unlikely to be giardia.

Same awful fishy smell from our Zero Water as well. Couldn’t even imagine drinking out of it again, the smell alone makes you dry heave.

I realize filters need to be replaced but we’ve had ours for a very short amount of time & after reading other comments it sounds like the filters don’t last very long. We’ll be throwing ours out & looking into different water filtration.

my husband n i had been drinking from zerowater filter. despite the fact of the fishy smell.

both became so sick. had to go ER today.

We also experience the fishy smell and taste, it usually happens after 3 weeks of changing filters and still within good meter readings

Whenever your zero water measurement goes above .06 all bets are off. One time I was not checking my zero water with the supplied tester and it smelled like fish or shrimp.

I tested the water and it was at .08, over the recommended maximum of .06. I cleaned the pitcher, changed the filer, no more problems!

If you are not measuring your zero water with the tester ever week you are asking for problems. We love our zero water!

to bob #1560213

The device measuring the water for ZeroWater measures in "ppm" or "Parts Per Million," and there is no decimal place. 08 means 8 ppm.

06 means 6 ppm.

https://www.zerowater.com/resources/tds-meter-instructions.pdf The life span of the filter is dictated by the combination of how much water runs through it, and how much dissolved solids are present in that water (which can be measured in ppm). If your source water is high in ppm, the filters will not last as long for the same amount of water.

The filter should be changed WAY more often than every "few months". We've had this issue too with our filter.

And when we tested the water with the supplied tester, there were about 15 ppm (there should be zero).

If you're going to use any water filter, change the filter at minimum every four weeks. Sorry you got ill.

to mdtobe #1560222

The filter life span is not "once size fits all" - it is dependent on a) how many gallons go through it, and more importantly b) the quantity of dissolved solids in that water. If your source water is 4000ppm (such as a mineral laden well), your filter will last 1/10 as long as someone with 400ppm source water (some areas in Florida), and 1/100 as long as someone with 40ppm source water (Pacific Northwest).

Us too! The first time our water tasted moldy we immediately changed the filter and cleaned the tank...but one month later same thing and even worse!

It's disgusting and I don't understand why it gets moldy tasting and smelly, we kept it in the fridge as well. We threw it out today...ALL DONE!

No risking a 3rd time. My husband uses the water for his CPap so that's awesome he was breathing in mold all night, no wonder he's been cough for 3 months...very upset.

North Branch, Michigan, United States #1302545

Same nasty smell from my Zero Pitcher! Disgusting and yes,

I have been sick with stomach issues and the rest.

Will never buy this again. Don['t waste your money.

You're "still" sick because the problem is with your water, not the filter. Duh.

You can take flagyl til the cows come home but if you continue to drink contaminated water you'll continue to have giardia.

P.S. It's contagious so I hope you aren't preparing food for your family or even touching them without washing your hands thoroughly first.

to Anonymous #1551168

NO SORRY YOUR WRONG. I CHANGED MY FILTER AND PROBLEM GONE.

I HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH THE FILTERS 3 TIMES ALREADY AND IT IS THE FILTERS NOT THE WATER. "DUH" BACK AT YOU.

If you were truly diagnosed with giardia, then the problem lies with your water, not the filter. Alternatively, giardia can be transmitted via food or contact with any infected individual.

Again, the filter is not the problem.

Surely the ER attending would have explained this to you. You were just fishing (pun intended) for a payout to which you are not entitled.

Fort Worth, Texas, United States #1297315

We have also been experiencing the same symptoms. Sore throats, sinus trouble and nausea.

Zero water filter is making us sick!

The fish smell is from mold growth from what I read. DO not purchase and spread the words

to Anonymous #1560217