6.6K views

I have been smelling something fishy for a few months.The smell started out smelling like a fish bowl, then rotted fish.

By the time I finally realized that it was coming from my Zero Water filter, I had Giardiasis!! The more my stomach ached, the more water I drank, making it worse. I pulled the filter out and saw mold growing inside the filter. And I even keep the water in the refrigerator!

I have had Giardiasis for over two weeks now and since I don't have health insurance, I had to pay for the trip to urgent care and the prescription for Flagyl!

I'm still sick with bloating, nausea, and diarrhea.I want compensation for this product from the company!

Comments

Whenever your zero water measurement goes above .06 all bets are off.One time I was not checking my zero water with the supplied tester and it smelled like fish or shrimp.

I tested the water and it was at .08, over the recommended maximum of .06. I cleaned the pitcher, changed the filer, no more problems!

If you are not measuring your zero water with the tester ever week you are asking for problems.We love our zero water!

The filter should be changed WAY more often than every "few months".We've had this issue too with our filter.

And when we tested the water with the supplied tester, there were about 15 ppm (there should be zero).

If you're going to use any water filter, change the filter at minimum every four weeks.Sorry you got ill.

Us too!The first time our water tasted moldy we immediately changed the filter and cleaned the tank...but one month later same thing and even worse!

It's disgusting and I don't understand why it gets moldy tasting and smelly, we kept it in the fridge as well. We threw it out today...ALL DONE!

No risking a 3rd time.My husband uses the water for his CPap so that's awesome he was breathing in mold all night, no wonder he's been cough for 3 months...very upset.

North Branch, Michigan, United States #1302545

Same nasty smell from my Zero Pitcher! Disgusting and yes,

I have been sick with stomach issues and the rest.

Will never buy this again. Don['t waste your money.

You're "still" sick because the problem is with your water, not the filter.Duh.

You can take flagyl til the cows come home but if you continue to drink contaminated water you'll continue to have giardia.

P.S.It's contagious so I hope you aren't preparing food for your family or even touching them without washing your hands thoroughly first.

If you were truly diagnosed with giardia, then the problem lies with your water, not the filter.Alternatively, giardia can be transmitted via food or contact with any infected individual.

Again, the filter is not the problem.

Surely the ER attending would have explained this to you.You were just fishing (pun intended) for a payout to which you are not entitled.

Fort Worth, Texas, United States #1297315

We have also been experiencing the same symptoms.Sore throats, sinus trouble and nausea.

Zero water filter is making us sick!

The fish smell is from mold growth from what I read.DO not purchase and spread the words

While you may have certainly been sick...You did not have giardiasis! I don't think deer or any other animals were pooping in your zero water system.

Pocatello, Idaho, United States #1254174

The giardia didn't come from the water pitcher. It came from the water you were using in it.

London, Ontario, Canada #1234274

Yes, my zero water went fishy and the filter was mouldy. It was only a month old. It was the large capacity filter and I'm just one person, so it wasn't from over use.

My Zerowater started to smell fishy and I stopped drinking. I'm curious as to why you continued to drink yours for so long? Buy a new filter.

Splunker
to Anonymous London, Ontario, Canada #1234275

The instructions say to replace the filter after the water meter starts to show high numbers. Also, my filter is less than a month old, it's the large capacity one and I'm just one person. It shouldn't be mouldy and in need of replacement already.

Same thing is happening to me. Smelled fishy n I was getting sick, noticed mold just now.

I too have used the zero water for 2 months now and Just recently began noticing a slimy fishy smell.It Sounds like this is a common issue for other consumers as well..

Mine went into the recycle bin.

Yes, agreed - smells like the fish food flakes you drop in the top of an aquarium.Not what I want my drinking water to smell like.

Sorry Zero Water, gave you a nice long shot - but after 3 bad filters I am giving up on you. Recommend you guys do the same.

Maybe they'll change their act.It would behoove them to.

#1021943

I'm sympathic to your problems of course but you do say "smelling something fishy after a FEW months." A few months is a very long time to leave a filter like this in without changing it.Did you use the meter?

If so, how often? What were the readings when you checked? What is the reading from your tap water? I can take a negative review but really folks be reasonable.

I wouldn't use ANY filter for a few months without changing it.Just saying…..

to Anonymous London, Ontario, Canada #1234251

It says to replace the filter after the numbers on the water tester get high, it says NOTHING about after the water starts to stink like dead stuff. Zero Water is getting zero of my future business.

to MIke London, Ontario, Canada #1234254

And the filter should last longer than a month. I'm just one person, and I got the big capacity version.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada #777638

Omg.I'm sick as well.

Ive been experienced vomiting diarrhea weakness. Dizziness for at least 24 hours now amd still am. So what did I do. I kept drinking water from my zero water to get better.

Than I've noticed this fishy smell after I started throwing up coming from the water I was drinking and realized it was only coming from the zero water. I compared the two glasses of water one from the tap and one from the zero water. And only the zero water produced this fishy smell. I've never experienced this through your average brita filter.

Zero water was suppose to b better so that's why I purchased it. I guess I was wrong and found out the hard way. Pls I commend anyone with a zero water to throw it away. N if u can't afford brita just drink tap water.

At least it's safe than zero water. I contacted the company n got no response after being forwarded to many other zero water representatives.

They jut don't care

Yours truly.One customer that use to b happy.

to Sap Boston, Massachusetts, United States #978251

THIS company should go out of business for good, I drank water from their filtration system in a doctor's office and immediately got every symptom imaginable, I was embarrassed and looked and acted like a lunatic from the nausea, malaise, and over all deathly sick feeling, they could not understand what was wrong with me.There are bad reviews about this company all over the web, any good reviews are probably coming from the company itself.

Creeps, what goes around comes around.