1.1K views
5.0

I used to self-fill 5 gallons of water for as little as .25/gal & had wondered if I could filter my own water at home with equal or better results for less.

I also factored in gas, time, and convenience and felt that it was time. I found that fridge and faucet type filters didn't yield acceptable results, so I started with a Brita pitcher filter. While it did bring my 201-226ppm avg. from the tap down to the 176-188 range, I felt I could do better. I next tried Whirlpool's Everydrop filters hoping to speed up the filtration process, but it yielded worse results, only bring my ppm's down an avg. of 5-15, less than half as well as the Brita.

I was ready to invest in distillation or RO when I had stumbled on a Zerowater pitcher type filter. I was at Home Depot to look at at in-home water filtration options and was suggested to try the Zerowater pitcher.

I was skeptical of the "000" claim of filtering ALL contaminates, especially for a $30 pitcher type unit, but I thought, let's give this a try..

Took it home and was thoroughly impressed! it effectively brought my 200+ ppm down to an astonishing zero. This actually works!

I have only owned this pitcher for 7 days, and have filled 3 1gal. containers and refilled at least 50+ 16.9oz water bottles and using my TDS meter, it's still filtering my tap water down to zero.

[using a water quality test kit from Prolabs, I verified the Zerowater filter is removing aluminum, copper, nitrates, chlorine, and iron to 0-1ppm, however, it reduces the pH from 7.5 to just 3.8. I am currently using trace mineral drops to raise pH (as well as replace desired minerals) as well as infusing with fruit and/or baking soda to increase pH.

I have the 8 cup unit and am super happy with the results and have recommended it to several of my friends.

So far, including water I'm giving my dog and water I'm using for cooking, I estimate I've filtered about 15 gallons of water that is equal or better than bottled. Buying this same amount in 5 gal containers would only cost me $3.75, plus gas vs. the $30 investment I've made so far, so I'do have to be able to produce roughly 10x more clean water on the same filter for this to be a better value (or with my avg. use, get 10 weeks or more from one filter). I'll know in 2.5 months (May 15th, 2015).

This reviewer shared experience about good quality and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). The author is overall satisfied with Zerowater and uploaded a picture. He best about zerowater filter from Zerowater was quality of water during lifespan. Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Zerowater.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Shopping category for more informed decision or compare Zerowater to other companies on our site.

Had an Experience with Zerowater?

Comments

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States #957714

Since my original posting, I've filtered another 13+ gallons, still reading 0 ppm's.

While the zero water filter has met/exceeded my expectations so far, I just ordered the "Clearly Filtered" water pitcher for $69 that claims to filter more than zero water.

(I'll have to invest in additional testing strips/drops and a SCIO to verify their claims)

Once it arrives, I will compare it against the zero water and post my results here. I'm willing to invest a little more if more contaminants can be reduced.

In recent months, I've taken clean water seriously, more than most I'm sure. My daughter has been diagnosed with Perth's disease & thyroid dysfunction, possibly caused by years of drinking inadequately filtered municipal water.

(Heard of Erin Brochavich?

That's just north of where we live.)

Our entire area has some of the most contaminated water in the U.S., so please know that I am serious about getting the cleanest water at the most reasonable cost for my family.

To those who voted down, I would appreciate if you could leave a comment and suggest a better way to filter my water for the money.

to Original poster Maricopa, Arizona, United States #964465

In my opinion only and nothing more than that; facts needs to be totally researched first by whomever reads the comment below:

....distill the city/county water to remove any possible heavy metals that may be in the city/county drinking water, then add some safe minerals to improve the water drinking flavor.

(Distillation)

Distillation may not remove poison that in the water such as gasoline.

You could buy a RO filter and system; preferably the RO system type that washes the RO filter and the waste goes into the drainage system or waste water possibly recycled back via the hot water system.

Activated charcoal system can remove a lot of toxic stuff, but the charcoal's spores holes in the charcoal must be extremely small, and the charcoal freshly activated to capture or attract any harmful particulate.The charcoal system would have to be a slow drip type systems that doesn't forces the particulate through the activated charcoal similar to "Zero Water."

Zero Water will work to clean water; however, the dirtier the water, the less longevity of the water filter, and the more often you have to change that water filter.

kamsinger
Dallas, Texas, United States #957659

I don't know if you will get that much in financial value out of it, we change our filter at least once a month and our tap water in Dallas is 135-160, but the value of clean healthy water is much greater, especially since it pretty much pulls all of the fluoride out of the water.