Zerowater - ZERO WATER DANGEROUS!

433 of 450 Zerowater reviews

I bought Zero Water filter from Walmart. We used for only 4 days... Now the water after going threw the filter taste like lemons and a very acidic and metallic tasting fluid. I won't call it water cause it tasted like pollution of some sort.

I'm going to call the Health Dept. tomorrow to report it....

Here in AZ we drink a lot of water and we count on filtration because of the terrible water conditions here...

Started out great, but now (just after 4 or 5 gallons) is dangerous to me and my family making us sick with flu like symptoms...

I have been sick for 3 days now just starting to feel a little better...

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 36 Yes 36 65 No 65
Had the same issue 96 Yes 96
433 of 450 Zerowater reviews

Feb 15, 2016 #1112381

I researched water filters one time and the Ultimate Pur water filter was the best. It took the most impurities (99%) from the water including lead. I bought the Ultimate Pur water filter for the kitchen faucet. It lasted about 2-3 months. I knew the water was really clean of impurities and metals.

1 0 Reply

Feb 03, 2016 #1105938

My wife and I recently purchased the ZeroWater 23 Cup Dispenser from Walmart and thought it was an upgrade from a similar size Brita water filter. Today we smelled a sour or fishy smell coming from the ZeroWater dispenser and found mold on the filter. It makes since now because we have been complaining about mild headaches, stomach bloating, and restless sleep. Now we both have to pay for a doctors visit.
DO NOT PURCHSE SIMILAR ZEROWATER PRODUCTS UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 1 Reply

Jan 20, 2016 #1097737

I too bought a Zero Water filter. Filled it about 10 times and the water has a horrible bitter after taste that makes it undrinkable. DON'T BUY ONE they are terrible. Very irritated to have spent the money, this company needs to cease and desist! Can we file a class action suit or something?

4 0 Reply
Beckster

Mar 07, 2016 #1123206

Please, we must call them out on this issue large scale.

Nov 10, 2015 #1061100

I had the same experience! What recourse do we have. The water is rancid lemon metallic. Can't believe this is still marketed!

4 1 Reply

Feb 15, 2016 #1112388 Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

The Ultimate Pur water faucet filter gets more than other faucet or pitcher impurities out if the water. I've never had any problem with mine. A red light comes on when the filter needs to be disposed of, about 2-3 months. The pkg of 2 filters and one faucet filter holder and connector was only about $39-40.

Tony Burke

Oct 25, 2015 #1053737

I bought a ZERO WATER from Walmart, the filters don't last very long before the numbers reach 006, the Tester has malfunctioned and Walmart doesn't carry them. Does the Tester use a battery and where do I get it?

1 0 Reply

Oct 22, 2015 #1052339

My dog is in kidney failure after 3 months of drinking ZeroWater!
Did you ever get to the health department?

1 6 Reply

Sep 15, 2015 #1034060

From the Zero Water website:
Q. Odor: Fishy smell
A. Most customers do not notice an odor from their filter, so it is likely that the general make up of your water is different than most. When the filter is used up, this can cause the smell. It is very important that you regularly test your water to be sure it reads 000 to prevent this in the future.

2 0 Reply
Marisa

Sep 15, 2015 #1034057 San Diego, California, United States

It's actually not a rip off. Google best filter to remove heavy metals and look for the independent lab that tested several filters. Zero is the ONLY one that removed most heavy metals from the water. The problem with them is that one filter only lasts about 8 gallons. It's VERY expensive, but if you live in a place that has heavy metals, it's the best choice. Here are the lab results.

6 5 Reply

Jun 14, 2015 #994868 Los Angeles, California, United States

Same with me, about 3 weeks and I got the lemon water taste and TDS numbers over 100 higher than the tap. This is the 2nd filter that has done this.At $20/filter, total rip off.
Throwing it away tomorrow.

2 3 Reply

Jun 10, 2015 #993389 Alliance, Ohio, United States

Our water had an acidic/lemon taste after filtering as well, although I did not use the zero water filter. I thought it was a bad filter, and tried others. I even tried other brands, and it all had same result. Clearly there is something in the tap water causing this that filters do not remove, or maybe the filters remove whatever it is that covers this taste. I'd like to find a chemist who could give some insight here...

4 1 Reply

Apr 30, 2015 #978443

Worked for 4 days then started getting a lemony metallic taste. The "filtered" water won't even read now on the TDS meter just get ---. And yes the TDS meter works on tap and bottle just fine. Guess what ever is causing that acidic taste isn't allowing it to register. I don't feel sick from the water but i would really like to know what is causing this. This doesn't seem safe.

7 0 Reply
TJ

Apr 11, 2015 #970835 Inwood, West Virginia, United States

I live in West Virginia eastern panhandle and I purchased a water filter from Walmart, the zero brand. I have had the same experience as some of the other comments that I read. I only came to this site to see if anyone else had experienced the same things I had experienced. After running water through the filter and disposing of it several times I thought the water tasted fine. Then after a short period of time the water started to taste funny. It was as though someone had added lemon of some kind of soft drink to the water. I put it aside in the frig thinking maybe it was me. I tried it again some time later still the same think. Funny tasting water I will have to throw it away. What a waste of money. I will have to find out which water filter has great reviews before I buy another. Thanks to everyone who shared their experience.

6 1 Reply

Feb 22, 2016 #1115806

I Have had the zero water filter system for years and love it everyone always comments how good my water taste. I cant even drink bottled water anymore as I taste the plastic. I think the problem you may all be having is a missing o ring on the clear circle that the two filters screw into. As i needed to replace my filters and when they sent me new filters they were a different design then my old ones. I set it all up and tried the water and it was terrible and when I tested with gage to read number they were very high.I then very carefully watched the water coming out of the filters and noticed that water was dripping out of the center white disk that the two filters are also connected to. I then pulled everything apart and realized there was no o-ring on the clear circle that the filters screw onto. I was missing that o-ring in the packaging. There should have been 3 o-rings to white ones for the filters themselves and one clear one for the clear circle. I called them and they sent me a whole new unit with a clear o-ring I put the new one on and presto problem fixed. Without that o-ring the water was not all going into the filters much of it was just going directly from the top resivour to the bottom resivour. Hope this helps im sure this is your problem. Oh and also the fishy smell is because your filters are too old and need to be replaced. Mine usually last about 3 months. Check your water once a week so that you dont let numbers get too high..

Rob

Mar 27, 2015 #964417 Maricopa, Arizona, United States

I live in the City of Maricopa which the water that comes out of the facet in that city is the worst tasting water I had ever tasted in my entire life not to mentioned that the water from the facet smells unpleasantly disgusting at times and very fishy too. Zero Water advertised on TV of its vast capabilities of filtering water to purity which the advertisements entice me to buy and try the Zero Water product. I already have three different types of water filtering products which Zero Water made it the fourth water filtering product I owned.
I bought the Zero Water product and before drinking any of its filtered water, I ran tap water thru Zero Water filter then discard that water--I did that process at least three times in order to flush and clean out any microscopic activated charcoal particles that may still be existing in the filter. After the flushing the Zero Water's filter of three times, I try a taste test of the Zero Water filtered tap water. The first Zero Water filtered water had no bad taste, and (after reading the meter instruction first) the meter that they enclosed with the package read a TDS of "0" pp/m TDS after testing the filtered Zero's water, and the tap water from the faucet read a TDS of 603 pp/m. I was extremely impressed and happy at that time. I also used the testing meter on the other water filtering product I owned which I was shocked to discover that the pp/m was still high in those product after filtering, so I began to mainly use the
... Show more

10 4 Reply
Bill

Mar 25, 2015 #963526 New York, New York, United States

I'm not sure who is responsible for the 54 not helpful votes for this post, by, in my opinion, it is unlikely coming from genuine customers. This complaint is consistent with that of many of the one star reviews on Amazon, which I recommend everyone read. I also had a problem with fishy, acidic water after using Zero Water for only 10 days, including a TDS count almost double that of my tap water. My tap water tested at about 315 TDS. At that rate, Zero Water is much more expensive per gallon than many spring waters if bought by the gallon in a grocery store. In my opinion, this product is impractical, poorly designed and of extremely low quality. Many quality water filters have meters that tell you when you're due for a filter change. With Zero Water you have to stick a meter in your glass to make sure you're filter isn't kicked and thus seeping the filtered toxins back into your cup in larger amounts than found in the tap water. What a ridiculous concept! If you water ultra purified water, you can install a reverse osmosis filter for a few hundred dollars. I used to have one and the filters came out to about $40 PER YEAR. Once you get an RO filter installed, you should find it more practical, cheaper and more efficient than Zero Water. RO filtered water is about as clean as it gets if you don't mind the minerals being stripped out, which, from my understanding, is exactly what Zero Water does.

7 1 Reply
Willow

Mar 27, 2015 #964177 Bayamon, Bayamon, Puerto Rico

I had posted something the other day i will re post it here. I "use" to swear by Zero water until now,
Here is my last post..
Willow to Eric less than a minute ago San Juan, San Juan Municipio
Eric you are so wrong as a matter of fact I purchased the Zero Water Cooler when they first came out and I was very happy with the product and for me was the best investment ever. I never had to purchase bottle water ever again. Now in the past year I have a pitcher because my cooler is in the states and I am not. I did bring filters with me which btw have changed drastically . After a few gallons of water I do get this residue which I had never seen before and a "fishy" smell and taste coming from the water in the pitcher. Not a trouble maker I was one that recommended Zero Water to many people and many did purchase the item but lets be fair everyone cant be wrong here with the same problem.
Has ZeroWater changed the way they make their filters what is the difference? I have had this product for more than 7 years and I swore by it. Now hmm I dont know I just told my nephew the water is tasting fishy time to change the filter but damm I just changed it not to long ago wtf?
Something is wrong either the manufacturing has gotten really cheap or they just dont care. It was not this way when I first purchased it . So someone reading this from Zero Water please respond. thank you I'd like to know. As I stated "not everyone can be mistaken at the same time with the same
... Show more

5 3 Reply
sdmark0

Apr 28, 2015 #977432

Ditto......my water taste taste like a lemon and I didn't realize the flu like symptoms until now I'm putting two and two together. When I make tea or coffee using this water the milk curdles inside the tea that I just made or the coffee.... there is something seriously wrong with the water.
This is a serious problem my Brita water filter never did this.

3 0 Reply

1-20 of 50 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.